They may be used when maxillary bone (upper jaw) quality or quantity is inadequate for the placement of regular dental implants.
There are normal dental implants and there are zygomatic dental implants, Our doctors may have asked you to go for an zygomatic dental implants because Zygoma implants are different from conventional dental implants in that they anchor in to the zygomatic bone rather than the maxilla.
How zygomatic dental implants work?
The Zygomatic implants attach to the area of the jawbone close to the zygoma bone. After the surgery, fixed teeth can be replaced after three days. The common recovery time after this procedure is about four months. After this time, a final restoration can be applied to completely finish the operation.
The Zygomatic implants are seen as better than conventional dental implants in some ways.
- Zygomatic implants does not require bone grafts which can take up to half a year to heal.
- If you wanted dental implants but you are not a candidate because of a lack of supporting bone, then our team will advise you to go for Zygomatic implants.
What are Zygomatic Implants, and how are they used?
- Zygomatic implants are longer than ordinary dental implants and engage the very strong bulk of bone that forms the cheekbone.
- Zygomatic implants can be used as an alternative to complex bone grafting operations, making it possible to carry out surgery in just one simple stage.
- Depending on bone availability we may only need to use one or two Zygomatic implants, along with 2-4 ordinary dental implants to support the restoration.
- In cases where bone has further diminished in availability, up to 4 Zygomatic Implants may be used to achieve a stable support for restorations.
- In particularly challenging cases where the jaw is exceptionally damaged by advanced bone loss / destruction, we will design and make implantsspecifically for your particular situation.
Benefits Of Zygomatic Implants
- Although Zygomatic implants are considerably longer than conventional implants, the treatment is very similar from the patient’s perspective.
- Our placement of Zygomatic is minimally invasive, using our image guided surgery to produce a precise replica model of the upper jawbone meaning we do not have to carry out a wide surgical exposure.
Where are zygomatic implants used?
Zygomatic implants are used in patients with insufficient bone in the upper jaw which may be due to reasons such as aging, trauma, tumor resection, or atrophy. Zygomatic implants are implanted into the zygoma or zygomatic bone also known as cheekbone.
Are zygomatic implants safe?
These types of dental implants can be placed only by experienced and well-qualified oral and maxillofacial surgeons/ trained Implantologist. Risks are minimal given the expertise of surgeon and advanced technology used. With a precise treatment plan we can increase the success rate of Zygomatic Implants. However, it is the most aggressive form of surgery in dental implantology, hence post-operative swelling is quite common in case of zygomatic implants which subsides in a week's time.
Which brands are best for zygomatic implants?
The Nobel Biocare brand is one of the pioneers in the production of highly reliable zygomatic implants and they are still leading in this category. Other brands like Straumann have recently launched zygomatic implants. Few more popular brands like Noris and Simpladent are also recommended brands for zygomatic implants.
How much does zygomatic implants cost?
Zygomatic implants are not very common and are not advised unless really necessary. A single implant can range between ?50,000 to ?90,000 . However, a single zygomatic alone is not used commonly, it is always used in the upper full arch treatment which will include three normal implants, two zygomatic implants, and the prosthesis. This can cost you between INR 3 to 7 lakh per jaw.
What is quad zygomatic implant technique?
Four zygomatic implants can be used in patients with severe maxillary atrophy as an alternative to bone grafting to reconstruct the maxilla. This approach is used as the first line of treatment or as a rescue solution for failed implants and severe bone loss. The quad zygoma surgical procedure is technique sensitive and requires advanced surgical skills.