Do You Encourage Your Child to Brush Their Teeth
Children need to brush their teeth properly and regularly. Without brushing, a host of oral diseases can afflict the teeth and result in an infection leading up to the loss of the tooth. Dentists recommend that the brushing activity in kids be monitored one and also that children should be encouraged to brush their teeth regularly.
Dr. Komal Nebhnani
is an MDS Pedodontist and happens to be an excellent Pediatric Dentist in Gurgaon
. She is associated with Cosmodent India in her capacity as a highly accomplished and skilled dental surgeon
. She is a kid’s dentist who is much loved by her patients for her sweet and understanding nature. She goes to great lengths to allay the fears of the kids in her clinic and children feel very comfortable in her presence.
Here is what she has to say about encouraging children to brush their teeth.
- Children should be encouraged to brush their teeth twice a day for 2 minutes each.
- The children should brush teeth with toothpaste that has fluoride in it. Till the age of 2 years, the quantity of paste should be pea-sized and till the age of 6 years, it should be a rice grain-sized amount of toothpaste.
- The parents should supervise the children’s brushing until they are about 7 or 8 years old.
- Electric brushes are encouraged as they do not involve dexterity of the hand while brushing.
Regarding flossing here is what Dr. Komal has to say;
- Correct brushing can help in the removal of dental plaque. However, brushing by itself is not enough to remove the plaque that is located in spaces where the toothbrush cannot go. These places are located in between the teeth and also below the gums. Flossing is essential to clean these places.
- You should teach your child flossing after he/she has 2 teeth that touch.
- Flossing happens to be very important to prevent proximal decay.
- Flossing also helps polish the surfaces of teeth and also the area between two teeth.
- Your child should be encouraged to floss once a day and for 2-3 minutes at least.
This is how you can encourage your child to brush;
- Make tooth brushing fun by letting your child choose their toothbrush and toothpaste. There are a whole lot of colorful and attractive toothbrushes out there and your child will enjoy the experience. Also, there are many different toothpaste flavors on the market and your child is bound to select his or her favorite flavor.
- You can let your kids brush their teeth in tune with a song. Play an upbeat song while they brush and they are going to love the activity.
- You can also turn tooth brushing into a game, use your imagination and help your child brush his teeth.
- If tooth brushing is turned into a group activity with you brushing your teeth with your child, it will encourage your child to concentrate on brushing and develop an essential habit.