Dental Care For Your Child During COVID-19
Over the last 5 months, the COVID-19 pandemic has played havoc with our lives. People are confined to their homes with no signs of a reprieve, and for those who have small children, it is an especially tough time to encounter. One of the most important aspects of this is taking care of your child’s oral health with limited resources because a visit to the doctor is no longer feasible. In this situation, you must be extra vigilant.
Here are some dental care pointers for your child during COVID-19.
- Make sure that your child is holding the toothbrush properly. You should assist them in reaching the right spots and they will learn from you.
- Get your child a toothbrush that has his favorite cartoon character or superhero on it. He will show a lot more interest in brushing if he has a toothbrush that is an extension of his playtime.
- You need to make the brushing time a family affair. Make sure that everyone in the family is brushing at the same time in the mornings and nights. This will help break the mundaneness and make the brushing activity something to look forward to every day.
- Because you cannot visit a dentist for your kid’s dental problems you have to stress on oral hygiene all the more than usual. Your kid should understand that brushing is good for him and that he has to brush at the appointed times. Do not scold your child, rather encourage him to brush. With time brushing will be a regular habit with him.
- If you get your child to brush and floss regularly during this pandemic, chances are high that he will not have any major dental problems arising out of improper oral care.
- Children have a very high affinity for soft drinks and sugary food. These contain a very high quantity of sugar and this is very detrimental to their teeth. Do not give in to the tantrums of your kid, rather change their food habits to include things like fruits, homemade food with a regulated quantity of sugar as well as freshly pressed juices.
- Try chopping the fruits into interesting looking pieces. It will require a little creativity from you but your child will benefit from snacking on them. It will be a healthy dental choice for him or her.
- Limit your kid’s consumption of sugary beverages to once a month. After they consume the drink, make them gargle with saltwater. Also, get them to brush and floss their teeth after sugary food consumption. This will ensure that there is no damage to their teeth.
- Inspect your child’s teeth to see if there are any signs of discoloration that might indicate problems. Milk teeth will naturally fall off and if good dental hygiene is maintained, the permanent teeth will last your child for a lifetime.
Follow the above pointers to ensure good oral hygiene for your child. If you feel that a visit to a pediatric dentist is needed, get in touch with Cosmodent India after the lockdown is lifted.